Ok, so 10 days have passed and it’s time to transfer the Black Stone Stout to the secondary. But first… here’s a little update on the fermentation cycle.
- Day 1 (Saturday, Jan. 8th) – Brew day
- Day 2 – No signs of fermentation… not good. In the fermentation chamber (aka closet) it was ~ 60 degrees; a little to low. So, I moved it to our kitchen island (in hopes it would not produce any ‘Old Faithful’ like displays). After a few hours still nothing. I had to get things going quick; I didn’t want a spoiled batch to start the year. Later that afternoon, I moved the fermenter upstairs to our bathroom and put a small space heater near it. It took it a little bit of time to get the temperature up to the fermentation range.
- Day 3 – we have some bubbly! The airlock shows fermentation signs.
- Day 4 – aggressive fermentation. There was some concern that we may blow the top as the airlock was going crazy. I was expecting the airlock to clog and go into orbit so I put the fermenter in a big trash bag.
- Day 6 through 9 – fermentation activity was normal.
- Day 10 – fermentation period over. Let’s transfer this thing to the secondary!
The batch only netted 4.5 gallons, a half gallon short of my five gallon batch. As a result, the final gravity was a little high. I am sitting at 1.016, ~ 3 points high with a final ABV of 6.76% . This is a little out of range for the style. I’ll make a decision when I rack it to the keg whether it will be entered in any competitions.
This weekend, I am going to boil a batch of water just to redetermine my boil-off rate. My new stand has more powerful burners and I think that was the culprit behind the evaporation in the boil. I didn’t add water to the wort before adding it to the fermenter… Oh well, the sample still tastes pretty good.